Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Making someone happy

One of the items on our shipment was our playpen.
We hope in the Lord’s timing to be using it again. But since we started having Maureen work for us, and she has been bringing Jack with her to work, I have thought about how nice it would be for her to be able to use it.

The first week she worked and was living here, she would have him on her back and then when it was naptime, she would walk back to her house and put him in the room for a nap. Then eventually sometime later, she would walk back there and get him. Then later in the day the same thing. I am sure he was fine, but he was back there alone.

So when he was awake, he was on her back the whole time. Even when she would be on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor, he would just be hanging on.

So, I was excited to get the shipment knowing that it was in there. So I set it up as soon as we got it and the very next day when she came to work and was cleaning in the kitchen, I asked her if I could show her something. I took her back to the room and said, “here, we have a playpen you can use”. Her face lit up and she said “oh thank you!” I could tell she was very excited. Even in the reserved Zambian way. I showed her it had wheels and she could take it to the kitchen or the small room right next to it and have him with her. I truly think it made her day. Since then she puts him in there, when she needs to, but then also when it is his naptime, she lays him in there and can go about the house doing her work, knowing he is here in the house with her. I was so excited that she was excited.




A few days later I was at the store buying hangers, which by the way, or expensive! Back home you can get maybe 10 hangers for a dollar. Here you can get 5 for 2 dollars, and that seems to be a good deal!

I noticed some diaper covers, and that they were a little less than 2 dollars each, so I looked for the right size and bought 3. The last time I picked Jack up, he was soaked and I thought he could use a few more. So when I came home and gave them to Maureen and asked her if she could use a few more, again her face lit up. She said YES! And truly, it was as if I had told her she was getting a huge raise in pay, or had just won something. She told me that the one she had, had a rip in it and she was so thankful.

Those things bring joy to my day and a smile to my face as well. Something so little, can make such a huge difference to someone and make them so happy. And that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment