Friday, October 12, 2012


In August we had our first ever camp for the orphans.  They all had a great time!  It was so fun to see them all enjoying themselves.  

The kids arrived Tuesday around lunchtime. We met with them for an orientation and then let them set up in the cabins. The campground where we were meeting was in lusaka west out at Ciyanjano. Some friends of ours run the campground. ( part of the ACTION Zambia Ministries) 

The kids were so excited to be setting up their blankets and settling in. For almost every single child, this was an opportunity to sleep on a bed, with a mattress!- not on the concrete or dirt floor that they sleep on at home. 

There was a great playground, plenty of space to play football,  and a volleyball court.  The kids immediately started playing and whenever there was not an activity going on they were found at those places or napping enjoying their beds. 

We planned the menu and meals and I purchased all the food, but the best part was that for about $10 each day we had 2 ladies cooking and cleaning up after the meals for us.
That was great! 

In the mornings we had a type of VBS for the kids with crafts and activities. Catie Woodman from MI  came to help us out with the VBS.  Then in the afternoons we had scheduled times of meeting with the kids to talk about hygiene or getting along with each other as well as some other activities. 

Then in the evenings we had a service. James preached for one evening and then Pastor Thole preached the other 2 evenings.  He told the kids to call him "Uncle T"...
The messages were geared especially for the kids and went very well.  Uncle T  taught the kids a song, " I am so happy..."  For there is no condemnation in my heart..

The older boys did a skit for us and sang a few songs,  then Francis helped the younger kids practice a song to sing for us as well. It was very sweet. 

When it was time to leave the kids didn't want to go.  Katryn said if we could find another group of "mothers" to come take care of the kids they would be happy another week there.  We were exhausted. 

Among us, we split up in the cabins. Maureen and I took the little boys cabin and then Fanny and Kat, along with Catie took the girls cabin. So we each were responsible for  specific kids. That seemed to work out well. A bit of drama in some of the other cabins, the older boys and the girls so Maureen and I were joking with the others about "our kids" and next year we would have them drama yet with little boys. 

Uncle T encouraged us to make this an annual camp for the kids as he pointed to how many times its at camps like this that the kids lives are most directly impacted. For us, it was a great time to spend more time with the kids in a fun environment and where they were comfortable and continue to make tiny drops of deposits into their lives.  It is for the long hual.  It's not just one camp or tutoring session or meeting that is going to impact the kids lives the way we want to, so it is p'ongono p'ongono.  (little by little). 

The last night we roasted Marshmallows.  Catie had asked if there was anything she could bring us, and I told her I wanted to do smores with the kids!  That was a huge hit and they ALL loved it!  It was so fun to see them enjoying the bonfire and roasting.  Even Fanny and Maureen had their first ever Smore... 

It is great to do theses fun things with them that we usually can do with our own kids.
I have many pictures that I put into a video/slide show and have been waiting to post but the internet...
So rather than waiting another month I will go ahead and post this with one picture.

1 comment: