Thursday, September 22, 2011

I miss applesauce

Yes, Riots are taking place in different places of Zambia today, over the elections.
Businesses are closing early for the day as they are anticipating the results.

And kids are starving here in our city.
Other kids are getting high on drugs and sniffing glue and setting fire to things to cause a scene.

People are living on less than $2 a day.
Girls are working in prostitution to get money to pay for food or to provide for their children.

Kids are dying of AIDS.
Men and Women are dying of AIDS or infecting other people with HIV at this very moment.

Babies are crying in the orphanage that I visit just wanting someone to pick them up and hold them and never put them down. Cause when you put them down, they cry and don’t stop. You walk out of the room to the parking lot where your car is and you can still hear their cries.

I drive by beggars on the street and children leading their blind parents around coming up to the vehicles to beg for money.

So much just doesn’t seem right. And yet all this is “normal”.
And I just walked into my kitchen to open up my cookbook and decide what kind of cookies I want to make today.

I saw a recipe for applesauce spice cupcakes. Mmm...that sure sounds good. But unless I want to spend about $7 for one cup of applesauce ( which I have only seen sold a few times) or make my own applesauce from apples that are too expensive, I have to pass on the applesauce cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
I guess I will go for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, (great recipe -Steph McD ) and use the chocolate chips that have been shipped to us from America.

Life is going on around me and I think about a bowl of cold applesauce, maybe even with cinnamon sprinkled on top.

sigh* THIS feels weird

No comments:

Post a Comment